Monday 25 October 2010

Alice Cary's Beutiful Love Poem - Forgive me but I needs must press

I hope you are able to use this beautiful poem by Alice Cary (1820-1871) for your special day.
_______________________________

Forgive me but I needs must press

Forgive me, but I needs must press
One question, since I love you so;
And kiss me, darling, if it’s Yes,
And, darling, kiss me if it’s No!

It is about our marriage day,
I fain would have it even here;
But kiss me if it’s far away,
And, darling, kiss me if it’s near!

Ah, by the blushes crowding so
On cheek and brow, ‘tis near, I guess;
But, darling, kiss me if it’s No,
And kiss me, darling, if it’s Yes!

And with what flowers shall you be wed?
With flowers of snow? Or flowers of flame?
But be they white, or be they red,
Kiss me, my darling, all the same!

And have you sewed your wedding dress?
Nay, speak not, even whisper low;
But kiss me, darling, if it’s Yes,
And, darling, kiss me if it’s No!